1. Each team is permitted 11 men on the field at the
2. Unlimited substitution is permitted. However, players
may enter the field only when the ball is dead. Players
who have been substituted for are not permitted to
linger on the field. Such lingering will be interpreted
as unsportsmanlike conduct.
3. Players leaving the game must be out of bounds on
their own side, clearing the field between the end
lines, before a snap or free kick. If player crosses end
line leaving field, it is delay of game (five-yard
4. Offensive substitutes who remain in the game must
move onto the field as far as the inside of the field
numerals before moving to a wide position.
5. With the exception of the last two minutes of either
half, the offensive team, while in the process of
substitution or simulated substitution, is prohibited
from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball
with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul;
i.e., too many men on the field.